The life in DBH is characterized by a joint atmosphere. Collective cooking and eating, excursion or parties are just some examples. It is also important for us that the people in the living communities get along with each other and that there is always someone you can contact with any problems encountered.
Therefore, the DBH needs the commitment of its residents and there are many roles where you can engage yourself for the DBH. We also welcome every new idea and there will always be someone to give you a hand, e.g. when you are planning a house breakfast, an evening full of films or a semester party.
We are an intercultural residential home, so you’ll meet students from all over the world. Thus, tolerance and flexibility are very important; nonetheless the togetherness is an integral part of our house.
The student committees and mentorships
At the beginning of each term, at the general assembly, the residents elect the representatives who want to take care of a specific part of the life at DBH for one semester. A current version of the rules of procedure of the house assembly can be found here (PDF) (german). Those committees mainly bring up administrative tasks and ensure that there is always at least one person responsible for a certain task. Furthermore, the list below gives insight into the activities of our house. For those of you who are already living at the DBH the list of the current occupation and additional helpful information can be found in the latest minutes of the house assembly.
- Advisory board (Kuratorium)
- sets the house rule and determines the budget for the DBH
- Management board (Heimleitung)
- makes decisions on issues about the house
- Selection committee (Auswahlausschuss)
- decides which applications will be accepted
- Senior baord (Seniorat)
- weekly meeting of representatives of all flats
- Chair of senior board
- plans and conducts the weekly senior board
- Trustee of the solidarity fund
- administrates the account of the “Solikasse” (an account where residents may make a contribution for those residents who are in need)
- advises residents at the DBH confidentially whenever financial shortages occur or whenever there are problems within a living community
- organizes trips
- organizes parties and bar evenings in our house bar
- Roof terrace/ TV-room
- makes sure that the terrace and the TV-room are in good shape
- administrates the bike garage and organizes bike trips
- organizes movie nights and administrates the projector
- kümmert sich um das Foodsharingregal
- Food sharing
- takes care of the food sharing shelf
- takes, collects and administrates pictures
- organises breakfasts for the dorm, motivates house residents to organise breakfasts and administrates the key to the kitchen
- organizes activities to improve our garden
- collects all birthdates for a birthday calendar and surprises residents on their birthdays with a small present
- motivates house residents to organize cooking evenings and organizes the running dinner
- makes sure that we have a good relationship with our neighbours
- Network tutors
- they handle the registration of the internet accounts and are the contact persons if there are problems with the internet
- organizes board game parties and administrates our board game collection
- organizes sport events and administrates our sports equipment
- administrates of this website
A detailed version of our committees can be seen in the house rules (PDF).